Thursday, January 24, 2008

SOUNDS WEIRD, BUT---------

First of all, I looooooooooooove potato chips. Just plain. I could eat a whole bag in one sitting, especially Cape Cod. However, because of the problem that chips have a tendency to put unwanted pounds on our bodies, I can't indulge like I would love to. Today a I was sitting in my doctor's waiting room I skimmed through the February Good Housekeeping. Now here's the "sounds weird" part - there is a recipe for kale chips!?! They say that an ounce of potato chips are 150 calories and the same amount of kale chips are 15 calories. Well, I thought I would give it a try. I did and they taste really good. Bill said "Well, that's sure a new way to eat greens." They are crispy and tasty. In case you don't get a chance to see the GH February edition I'll put the recipe here. This is too good not to share. There are some other good recipes in there, too.

KALE CHIPS
1 bunch kale (10 oz), rinsed and dried well
Nonstick cooking spray
Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. From kale, remove and discard thick stems, and tear leaves into large pieces. Spread leaves in single layer on 2 large cookie sheets. Spray leaves with nonstick cooking spray to coat lightly, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or just until kale chips are crisp but not browned. Cool on cookie sheets on wire racks.
This would be an unusual and tasty dish for a Super Bowl spread. Healthy and tasty. Since I am, in essence, Bill's caregiver I am the one responsible for seeing that he eats as healthy as possible. Since his last trip to the hospital I no longer bring anything into the house that he can't or shouldn't eat or that might tempt him. This is good for me, too, because God knows I need to lose weight. Not saying that I won't sneak a few no-no's past him. I haven't so far, but, I know the time will come. Anyhow, for right now a few pounds have been shed and hopefully more are to come. Now I am getting ready to watch Celebrity Apprentice and Tivo Monk and Psych. Have a good night's rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment