Wednesday, January 9, 2008

DIABETIC HEALTHY TOMATO SAUCE

Since Bill has diabetes, I have bought several diabetic cookbooks and some of the recipes that I put here may come from those. This is a recipe that I got from one that can be used for several types of dishes.

TOMATO SAUCE
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1/4 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste
dash of Tabasco or hot sauce (optional)
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice and salt and cook for 10 minutes more. Add pepper. Remove from the heat. You can puree the sauce in a blender in batches until smooth, if you want to. We like it slightly chunky. This can keep in an airtight container in a refrigerator for up to 1 week.
I am slowly getting back to my old roll of things. I did get my Christmas cards finished in Hilton Head, however, I just have to put a little letter that I printed out for each card inside of each. I will mail them tomorrow. I have errands to run and will mail them then. Today is Wednesday, Senior Citizen's day at the grocery stores, so I will do a little shopping today. Trying to get Bill back on track with his eating. I have said that now only healthful food will be brought into the house. Marcy and I can definitely use better eating habits, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment