Wednesday, February 20, 2008

HOUSEHOLD HINTS from the PHILIPPINES

I was cleaning out some cabinets and found a cookbook put together by the women who lived at Clark Air Base. This United States Air Force Base was in the Philippines were Jackie and I met. I found some hints in the book and thought I would share them with you.
#1. Put a large pail of water with a tablespoon of ammonia in a freshly painted room, the odor will disappear sooner. Most paints don't have a strong odor anymore. I think this book was written in 1982.
#2. If honey goes to sugar, stand the jar in a pot of hot water until honey liquifies again.
#3. When you iron, try standing on a thick bath mat. It keeps you from getting so tried.
#4. Slip an electric iron cord through a large safety pin, pinned to the corner at the square end of the board. The cord will not drag across the board.
#5. Don't mix those nylon garments in your wash with colored garments. The static electricity in the nylon draws colors.
There is a lot more, but as time has gone by and new things have been invented, not much applies anymore. I know that Jackie and I had a lot of free time but these women on the base really did a lot of work to keep their homes going. We don't appreciate the family of our soldiers enough. God Bless Them All!

No comments:

Post a Comment