Saturday, November 3, 2007

Thanksgiving Morning Breakfast

My mother had surgery yesterday and I spent the day at the hospital so I didn't get online at all. My sister, Marcy, and I left home very early in the morning to get to the hospital and then spent all day there. My daughter, Sue, came from another town and met us there, too. When I came home I was too tired to even think about the computer. Mom is home sleeping in her own bed now so all is good. The recipe I am contributing today is one that has become a tradition at our home on Thanksgiving morning. I prepare it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning. That way breakfast is taken care of and we don't have to have anyone in the kitchen while we are cooking. Everybody loves it. It is a recipe that I got from one of my friends when I was in the Phillipines.

BAKED SAUSAGE 'N EGGS

6 or 7 slices white bread (trimmed)
2 lbs. sausage
1 tsp dry mustard
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup Half & Half
1 tsp worcestershire sauce

Brown sausage. Mix in the dry mustard while sausage is browning. Place bread in a 8 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle meat mixture top of bread. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over this.

Slightly beat eggs, add milk, Half & Half and worcestershire sauce. Pour this mixture over ingredients in the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnite.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I think I mentioned before that all of the family that can comes to our home for Thanksgiving. We have a biiiiig family so I make more than one of these for that morning. It has a nice cheesey top that everyone loves.

This afternoon we were treated to a very nice lunch by our daughter, Sue, & our son-in-law (more like a son), Otis. We all went to visit Mom first and then went to one of the nice downtown restaurants that we enjoy going to. The food was delicious and the company was great. We were supposed to go to a church potluck supper this evening, but, Bill and I are pooped. Yesterday he went with a group from the Knights of Columbus that he belongs to. They go to visit the patients at the Vets hospitals in our area. He really enjoys going and trying to bring some cheer to these men and women. It takes a toll on him, though, and he is usually quite worn out for a couple of days. Plus I am worn out from my long day at the hospital. I'm not as young as I used to be and these old bones tire very quickly!! Anyhow, we will just stay home tonight and I will work on getting this place ready for the mass of family that will be arriving in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment