Saturday, November 3, 2007

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

Just returned from visiting my 92 year old Mother and my sister who just returned from her trip. It is always great to see your family. Will spend sometime hopefully with my son on Sunday. Time has gone fast, I will be off on Tuesday at 5:30 in the morning. Back to South Carolina. Here is another recipe from that same magazine I purchased at the airport.
( you can cut this recipe in 1/2 very easy )

5 pounds white or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
salt and pepper
8 T or 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3/4 C buttermilk
1/4 C heavy cream
1/4 t ground nutmeg

Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and add 2 1/2 tablespoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot. Add the butter, buttermilk, cream, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Mash the potatoes with a handheld masher. Transfer to serving dish.
Do not make ahead because the potatoes will turn dry and pasty if reheated. This is what the magazine states. They also state it is best to continue to keep them warm in a double boiler or crock-pot.

That's it for now. I didn't talk to Jackie today, which is odd. Her Mother had surgery and I didn't want to bother her. I did find out yesterday she went through her surgery and family was there for support.

No comments:

Post a Comment