Thursday, November 15, 2007

Rethinking

Chris and I just had our morning talk and I told her about my snakes post and my cement yard idea. Well, she said that the snakes would just lay on the cement to get cool or sunned or something. My only hope is cold weather I guess. I've heard that pigs kill snakes. I saw that on a western mini-series once. I wanted to get a potbelly pig and put out back, but, Bill said no way, no how. Our dogs are not any help because there are 3 of them back there and the snakes still think they have a right to slither around our yard and our bushes. Once when we were out doing yardwork (before I got too scared). It was myself, my grandson, Tyler, and my granddaughter, Dominique. This was last year. We have several tall pine trees on our property and when the needles fall off our driveway can be a mat of pine straw. This was the case that day. Tyler was blowing the driveway with the blower and disturbed a little snake that happened to be there. It startled Tyler and the snake. Tyler went one way and the snake another. When I asked him how big it was his answer was "I think it was a teenage snake." His reasoning was that it was not a big snake so it wasn't an adult. It wasn't a tiny snake so it wasn't a baby. We got a big laugh out of that.

This weekend my sweet son-in-law, Otis, has organized a little work crew to do our yard work. Since Bill had his strokes he is unable to do the things that he used to do. Our property used to be immaculate and now is not that way. So Otis and his crew will do that for us. When we had some cold days I had said that I was going out to do the yard work. Then it got warm again and Bill said the snakes would be poking their heads out of their holes. That did it for me. Well, now I will just make a big pot of gumbo for Otis and the crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment