Sunday, November 4, 2007

Dirty Rice

This is one of the dishes that I make every Thanksgiving. I guess it's my Creole heritage coming out of me. This recipe I found years ago. I had an uncle in Beaumont, TX who was an awesome cook. One year at a family reunion he made this and yummmy!! My brother and I tried to get the recipe from him, but, he wouldn't give it out. A little after I got home I found the recipe. This recipe makes quite a bit so I just make it when I am cooking for a crowd. My family loves it. I will, also, make it for our church's Thanksgiving dinner that will be held after Mass the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

DIRTY RICE

1 lb chicken gizzards
1 lb chicken livers
6 cups water or chicken stock
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp red pepper
3 tbsp bacon drippings, oil or margarine
1 bunch shallots, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 red peppers, finely chopped
1 lb lean ground meat
2 lbs hot bulk sausage
2 cups uncooked rice

Boil the gizzards and livers in water or stock to which the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper has been added. Boil about 30 minutes, remove gizzards and livers (retaining the liquid), grind, and set aside. (I grind them in a food processor.) In a large Dutch oven, saute the shallots, celery and peppers in the bacon drippings (or oil or margarine) until nicely browned. Brown the ground meat and the sausage in a separate pot; pour off the excess grease. Put the vegetables, gizzards, livers, meat and sausage in the Dutch oven. Saute slowly about 5 minutes. Add 4 cups of the reserved liquid and simmer slowly for about an hour. If it thickens too much, add a little more liquid.
Cook the rice in your rice cooker or boil it and mix with the meat mixture. Bake in a covered dish at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. (I bake it in an aluminum roasting pan covered with foil.) Serves 15 - 20.

I talked to Chris after church today. We got into the discussion of her helping me to decorate my livingroom. Like I said before, I am not good at this at all. My husband used to do most of the decorating before he had his strokes. I try, but, my mind has no artistic traits at all. Thank God for Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment