Tuesday, October 23, 2007

New England Fish Chowder

This is a recipe from 1992. Good one to try. Jackie and I are on the phone as I type this out. She has been under the weather for the last couple of days. She will be up and on the blog very soon. I will be up north visiting my children and Mother. I hate flying and wished I made the decision to drive. There will be a lot of nervous moments if the weather is bad.
Here is the chowder recipe----
4 C water
1 pound of cod fillets or other white fish
2 T margarine
3 T shredded carrot
2 T diced celery
2 T minced fresh onions
2 T plus 1 t all purpose flour
3 1/2 C skin milk---divided
2 C peeled, diced baking potato
1/4 t salt
1/4 pepper
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a large skillet. Add fish; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish with slotted spoon and set aside.
Melt margarine in a medium to large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, and onion. Saute 2 minutes. Stir in flour. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of milk, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Add potato, salt, and pepper; reduce heat, and cook uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occastionally. Add fish and remaining 1 cup milk; cook addional 10 minutes or until heated.
It should serve 1 1/2 cups each---4 people
My typing skills are very bad. I should of practiced more in class many many years ago. Thanks and have a good nights sleep. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment