Thursday, October 25, 2007

Corn and Potato Chowder

This is a variation of a soup I would make when our neighborhood used to have a little get-together the night that we held our luminary display. Our entire neighborhood would be swathed in candlelight and some of us would gather at the Harvey's home on the corner to watch all the cars drive by looking at our handiwork. This was our luminary display for Christmas, so naturally there would be a chill in the air. To ward off the chill each family that came to the little get-together brought soup, chili, hot apple cider or hot chocolate.

CORN AND POTATO CHOWDER

3 slices of bacon
3 or 4 medium potatoes, boiled and diced
1 small onion, chopped
6 tbsp flour
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
1 can condensed chicken broth
2 cups corn (I use frozen)
Salt & pepper to taste

Fry bacon very crisp in a deep pan. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Stir flour into bacon drippings in pan and saute just until transparent. Stir in the milk and half and half next making sure it is mixed well. Add the potatoes and corn. Heat thoroughly. Make sure not to boil.

I hope you enjoy it. Chris just called to tell me that she just arrived in Milwaukee -- 4 hours late!! Poor thing, she sounds pooped and I don't blame her. Plus now she has to go to baggage and pray that her bags are there. It is so difficult to fly anywhere nowadays. I am an airline retiree and my husband and I get to fly free and very, very seldom do. I would rather drive. Bill would rather fly because it is so uncomfortable for him in those airline seats. So we drive when we can or buy a ticket when necessary so we are not standby.

No comments:

Post a Comment