Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'M BACK FROM THE GOLF TOURNAMENT

I was a volunteer at the Ben E. King Celebrity Golf Tournament on Monday. I went to VA on Saturday and came home yesterday. Sunday there was a great dinner concert that Gene Chandler performed at. Before he came out Maxine Brown and Beverly Crosby performed and they were great. They call themselves the Wild Women and there are supposed to be 3 of them, but, because of family one was missing. In fact, the 3 of them have suffered different family tragedies lately. Monday was the tournament and we had a ball. My friend, Faye, and I were stationed at the 17th hole to mark for the woman who had the longest drive. We had a good time talking to everyone as they played past the hole. After the tournament there was an awards banquet that was a lot of fun. Then we all spent the rest of the evening up in the hospitality suite. I was plenty tired when I finally made it home. But, I was so glad that I went. My good friend, Shirley, has tried to get me to go to the tournament for 11 years. There was always an excuse why I couldn't. This year she said that I needed a break and had to go. Plus, I hadn't seen her since we moved here in 1989 even though we've talked. I, also, got to be with Shirley's sister, Nancy, her cousin, Marlyn, her good friend, Roxanne, her mother, Rose, her brother, Jimmie, and her 3 kids, Teisha, Bryce and Randy. It was so great to be with all of them!! I have to stay in touch with them and can't let 20 years slip by like that again. Even if it's just email. Plus, I got to meet Ben E. King who is such a nice, sweet man. It was an honor to work on the tournament with all of them! Bill called me once and I gave Ben the phone to talk to him. Well, he invited him to come next year and Bill was thrilled. Marcy said that he was smiling hard when he got off of the phone.

My nephew who gave me those delicious recipes now has his own blog that you should check out. It is chefbluck.blogspot.com and is, of course, great to read.

Needless to say, I am tired and will go to bed early tonight. My weekend will be full since we are going to Summerville for the party in honor of my mother that my niece is having. I am going to make gumbo so I have to get up early Saturday to get it started so it will be done in time for the party. Now I am going to do a few chores, of course do my chacha.com job and get some sleep.
Have a great night!

1 comment: