Wednesday, July 23, 2008

COCONUT MACAROONS

Today I continued to work myself out of my "funk" and went to the beauty salon. I had my hair washed, cut and highlighted. I told my stylist I felt like a new woman. Then I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things. When I came home I put a smoked turkey leg and wing on to boil for some turnip greens. I, also, had a taste for pig's feet so I bought some and put those on to boil with some taco seasoning in it. I put a London Broil in a plastic bag with some marinade and then had to go with Bill to a checkup with his medical doctor. The report was good and the doctor said everything was fine, all the numbers are good and his mind is working great. Fantastic!! Plus now when I go to the Ben E. King Celebrity Golf Tournament next month I won't feel guilty. He doesn't have to go back until November. We then came home and I finished dinner so Bill could eat before he went to his Knights meeting. I put the greens in the pot with the smoked turkey, put the L.B. on the grill and baked potatoes in the microwave. Bill had his dinner before he left. I still have a lot of catching up to do, but, I am working on it. Our room and my dresser top is looking much better. The big chore is going to be straightening out the papers and files in the computer room. I have a bunch of mail to go through and am dreading it. The most time-consuming part is shredding, shredding and more shredding. I won't get a chance to get through all of that until next week, though. I can't start it until next week because I have laundry to do tomorrow that I want to get done before we go to visit Sue and Otis. Friday I will not be getting up too early so I can rest for my drive to their home. We are going to take part in the fundraiser for her church with the professional photographer. Yes, Aunt Irene, I will definitely send you a copy! Now I am going to include another one of my nephew Chef Luck's recipes. One of my favorite things to eat!!

Coconut Macaroons
1 ea Egg White
1 Tbl Granulated Sugar
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/8 tsp Almond Extract
3/4 cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
Butter and flour for preparing baking sheet and foil

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 300°F. Butter a baking sheet, then line with foil and lightly butter and flour foil, knocking off excess flour. Stir together egg white, sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and a pinch of salt until combined, then stir in coconut. Divide coconut mixture into fourths, then drop in 4 mounds (about 2 inches apart) onto baking sheet. Bake until tops are pale golden in spots, 15 to 20 minutes, then carefully lift foil with cookies from baking sheet and transfer to a rack to cool completely, about 15 minutes. Peel macaroons from foil.
I love coconut macaroons! I don't know why, but, the first time that I tasted them that I can remember was in the Philippines when we lived there. I could eat a whole batch of them all by myself. Now I am going to bed so I can get up in the morning and start my laundry. Plus Marcy and I have to run out to run some errands, too. Have a marvelous, restful, peaceful night!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment