Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hint for RABBITS IN THE GARDEN

Rabbits in the garden can cause a lot of damage to your plants. They are very cute and we don't want to hurt them. Here are some tips that may help us all...
#1. Fill a 1 gallon glass jug with water and place it next to the rabbits favorite snack. The jars reflect the light and scares the animals. This is a new one for me. I would think it would be a problem finding a glass gallon jar.
#2. Put plastic milk jugs with their bottoms cut out over seedlings in the spring. As always remove them during the hottest part of the day. I have done this and the rabbits come around at night when the jugs are in place. Right now my husband has plastic around the tomato cages for warmth on those cold nights.
#3. Set an old pair of shoes or sneakers among the rows and beds to give the garden a human smell.
Most animals are doing what is natural to them. I have a squirrel problem at my bird feeders. They are taking over and I took down 2 feeders already. It's war because they can cause other damage in the yard. They chewed all the cushions of my friends garden furniture. They still have to put them away at night. George our dog does keep them at bay, sometimes. I found the squirrels coming up on my front porch and I put a fake cat on the bench. So far they have not returned. D.J. the 16 year old cat, sleeps on the front porch. The porch is a large southern porch that is covered, so he is very happy in his house at night. The squirrels don't want to come face to face with D.J. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment